Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Reflection On My Senior Project, by Niara

It has been two weeks since Senior Projects began. I have spent two wonderful weeks working in the Library, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. In the Library I created a pathfinder as a guide to Native American resources, books, and more. I feel that Native Americans are often overlooked in American society today, and as a method for combating that, I worked on my pathfinder in the library. Most of the resources and books on the pathfinder can be found within the Edith Hamilton Library. I used the catalogue to sort the majority of our Native American collection by author, type, and other categories. In the pathfinder, I also created a tab for recommendations for movies, authors, and people of interest. All of the recommendations can be found outside of the Edith Hamilton.


On Thursdays I spent time outside of the library in Baltimore City, working at the Baltimore American Indian Center (BAIC). There, my supervisor had me organize and beautify the education center. I gained more experience sorting books and learning about Native authors through my work at the BAIC. A lot of what I learned at the BAIC, in the Library, and in my American Indian Studies and History classes overlapped. It was very interesting to see how Native Americans’ long history with this country affects them in present day life, outside of the textbooks. It was also a wonderful experience to learn about and understand someone else’s culture. I hope that this pathfinder can be used as a tool to help Bryn Mawr students and teachers better understand Native people and their role in this country.

http://brynmawrschool.libguides.com/content.php?pid=698620

No comments:

Post a Comment